Three Things You Need to Know About Hoses
A hose is a versatile and reinforced tube that carries and transports media for multiple purposes. A hose can be used for different applications from commercial like garden hose to industrial purposes like wastewater hose, air hose, fire hose and more. Hoses are the heart of your operation, and serves as transfer lines for a variety of applications in major industries these days. Each industry has its own specific requirements and selecting the correct type of hose, from material to size, is important to ensure that your operation is running smoothly.
Here are three things that you need to know about hoses: –
1. Before buying a hose, it is crucial to specify the S.T.A.M.P.E.D. factors. STAMPED is the acronym of:
S – Size (the size of the I.D.)
T – Temperature (the temperature where the hose will be used)
A – Application (the application where the hose will be used)
M – Media (what is the media the hose will carry)
P – Pressure (the working pressure where the hose will be used)
E – End Fitting (the end fitting is required in order to connect the assembly)
D – Delivery (Any additional requirements for shipping, packaging and delivery services)
2. A hose is made up of 3 components:-
- Built into the body of the hose to withstand internal pressure and external pressure.
- To protect the hose and reinforcement from being damaged and environment.
- Can be made out of different materials such as rubber and PVC.
3. The different types of hoses available
- Petroleum Transfer Hoses
- Petroleum Transfer Hoses are used in transferring oil, gas, and petroleum based solvents in industrial settings.
- Commonly used in industries such as agriculture, factories, and construction
- The heavy duty tubes are ideal for transferring petroleum-based materials that are of high temperature such as tar, asphalt, and hot oils
- Petroleum Transfer Hoses are ideal for suction and discharge service on tank trucks, tank cars, or at bulk stations.
- Commonly made of synthetic rubber
- Has medium to high resistance to oil
- Hot Water and Steam Hose
- Often used for refrigeration equipment cooling water, food processing, mainly for hot water and saturated steam of dairy plants.
- The inner tube is made of EPDM.
- Beverage and food hose
- Made of high quality polyurethane, its purpose is to extract/suction and injection/pressure in the food and pharmaceutical industries.
- They are used for non-lipid liquid storage such as milk, carbonated, orange juice, beer, animal and vegetable oils, such as drinking water.
- Air hose (Also Known As Pneumatic Hose)
- Air hoses are widely used in compressors, pneumatic lines and systems, blowing machines, spray guns and sprayers.
- Air hoses are commonly found in construction sites, garages, mines and various industrial fields.
- Chemical Transfer Hoses
- These hoses are used to transfer a variety of industrial chemicals, and
- Chemical Transfer Hoses are commonly used in pressure, gravity flow, and suction service.
- Water hose
- Water hoses are used for irrigation, gardening, fire, tank cleaning and building.
- The inner tube is primarily made from PVS and EPDM
- Ventilation hose
- Primarily used for dealing with air, smoke, dust, gases, fumes, sawdust, chips, abrasive dust, powdered and granular materials in industries such as agriculture industry and chemical industry.
- Chemical hose
- Chemical hose is commonly used for transporting acidic chemical products.
- Chemical hose is resistant to most chemicals and hostile environment with a non-stick inner surface even at high temperature.